The Benefits of Using Sulfate Free Hair Products
Who doesn’t love the feeling of freshly washed hair? But have you ever questioned the ingredients used in your hair care products? Unfortunately, some products can be harmful to your hair and even your health. Therefore, it’s important to be aware of what your hair care products contain. Over the past few years, sulfate-free has been the latest talking point in the hair-care industry. At ANSWR, making hair products free of sulfates and other nasty chemicals is our priority. In this post, we’ll discuss why sulfate free hair products are the ultimate game-changer to keep your hair in its optimal condition.
What are Sulfates?
The term “sulfate” stands for a salt of sulfuric acid that generally goes by the name ammonium lauryl sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate on the ingredients list of hair products. Sodium lauryl sulfate is the strongest, and most commonly used in shampoos. Put simply, sulfates are powerful detergents which make the shampoo foamy. Sulfates are inexpensive, which explains why they are the main ingredient in most shampoos available on the market. They are also used in most household cleaning products due to their ability to cut through oil and dirt.
How to Choose the Best Hair Products?
With tons of sulfate free shampoos and conditioners to choose from, it may be challenging to find the right hair products for your specific hair needs. You should try out different options and see which one suits you the best.
If you choose a shampoo which smells good and makes a lot of lather, then you are using the wrong approach. A lot of foam doesn’t signify the efficiency of the shampoo. It often indicates the large amounts of sulfates added in a product. Sulfate free shampoos don’t produce foam but are proven to be more beneficial for healthy hair and scalp.
Recently, many hair care specialists have been emphasizing on the importance of sulfate free hair care products. Many studies have shown that sulfates can be harmful to hair and scalp. In addition, many users reported significant improvement after switching to sulfate free hair products.
Why Should You Avoid Sulfates?
- While shampoos containing sulfates wash away dirt and oil, they also strip away essential natural oils our scalp needs. The damaged protective barrier of the scalp leads to loss of moisture. Regular use of hair products with sulfates can leave the scalp sensitive, dry, and itchy. If you’re suffering from skin conditions like eczema, sulfates can make the problem even worse.
- The scalp isn’t the only thing that gets affected due to loss of moisture from the skin. If dry and frizzy hair is a point of frustration for you, keep in mind that shampoos containing sulfates may cause your hair to become drier and frizzier. Sulfates strip your hair of the shine and moisture, resulting in dull, dry, and lifeless hair.
- The same principle with sulfates washing away natural oils from the scalp also applies to its effect on color-treated hair. The heavy-duty cleaning properties of sulfates are harsh on hair strands and cause your color to wear off faster. You may need to dye your hair more often.
- Due to their damaging effects on the scalp, sulfates can cause inflammation of the scalp and affect its ability to grow healthy hair. This, in turn, leads to thinning and shedding of hair. Regular use of hair products with sulfates can indirectly cause hair loss.
Why Should You Switch to Sulfate free Hair Products?
- Sulfate free shampoo's are milder, less frothy, and less drying compared to shampoos containing sulfates.
- Sulfate free shampoo is suitable for all hair types no matter if your hair is straight, coarse, curly, or dyed.
- One of the main reasons to opt for sulfate free products is that they can clean your hair without disturbing the natural moisture barrier of your scalp. Sulfate free shampoo preserves the natural oils in your hair strands, giving them a natural shine and smoothness.
- Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner prevent split ends and breakage by locking moisture into the hair fibers. The result is healthier and shinier hair from the roots to the tips. These shampoos are gentler, they don’t cause scalp inflammation, itching, or dryness. Sulfate free hair products are a better alternative for people with eczema and dermatitis.
- Dyed hair should be treated with a sulfate free shampoo and sulfate free conditioner to reduce fading and for long-lasting color and shine. Your hair may become drier after a hair-coloring service. So, using a sulfate free shampoo is a safer option to prevent further dryness.
- If you had keratin or smoothing hair treatment, maintain the frizz-free and shiny appearance of your hair for much a longer period of time with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
- If you swim a lot, try switching to a sulfate free shampoo. It will not only wash out chlorine without drying out the hair but also prevent green swimmer’s hair.
- If you are struggling with dandruff and itchy scalp, sulfate free shampoo is your go-to option.
Getting used to a sulfate free shampoo may take some time. Firstly, because there won’t lather as much and secondly, you may think that your hair is not getting as clean as it used to with a shampoo containing sulfates. However, you’ll start to notice the difference with regular use. Your hair will feel and look much better than before.
Our ANSWR at-home keratin kit includes sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, which are designed for not only after smoothing treatment use but for delivering the best hair wash being gentle and nourishing to your hair.